On Thursday, December 7 from 5-8 pm, Portland will rally to Save The Internet at the Downtown Verizon Store. Come when you can and stay as long as you can!
The internet is under threat from big telecom and FCC Chairman (and former Verizon lawyer) Ajit Pai. On December 14, the FCC plans to vote to roll back Title II protections for the internet, meaning that our best democratic medium would become a gated, pay-to-play community, with premium packages and slow speeds for «non-priority» content.
Let's disrupt that plan.
We have won this battle before, and we can again with public outcry. Congress could step in, the FCC could cancel their vote. Now is the time to take to the streets, to the phone and to the internet itself. Protest December 7 at 6 pm to show that the internet won't go quietly!
For more information on Net Neutrality, watch this Last Week Tonight video: youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU
How you can make a difference:
1. RSVP and attend the event.
— Make a sign in support of Net Neutrality.
— Come with a smile. This will be a good, peaceful time.
— Bring the kids!
— Remember — we are protesting the law and the closed future that Verizon is lobbying for, not the employees of this Verizon store.
2. Invite your friends, even if you can't attend!
— Spread the word and ask your friends to hold it down for you.
— Ask friends in other cities to join or host events here: verizonprotests.com
3. Call congress every day and ask them to intervene. Go to battleforthenet.com
4. Post on your social media and spread the word. This is not a partisan issue. It could affect Breitbart as much as Democracy Now! — just about everyone wants an open internet.
This event is organized in collaboration with Fight For The Future. Our official event page, where you can sign up to receive email updates, is here: act.demandprogress.org/event/team-internet_attend/1502
5. Something missing from this list? Message the organizers! Please note as this protest does not have a large venue, we will not be programming the event.